Monday, August 25, 2008

Remembering Aaliyah

Aside from today being the birthday of two of my favorite people on the planet (Grandpa Joey and Sheryl Thompson), today also marks the seven-year anniversary of the death of Aaliyah Dana Haughton, more simply known as just Aaliyah. Regardless of the year, each August 25th, I always try to do something to commemorate the life of the most beautiful, humble and talented woman of R&B.

At just 22, the entertainer's life was taken due to a plane crash in the Bahamas. Aaliyah was an singer, actress and dancer. She was linked to R. Kelly, having married him at just 15 years old. The marriage was annulled based on Aaliyah's then-age, and she was most recently linked to Roc-A-Fella's Damon Dash at the time of her death in 2001. She was also very close friends with hip-hop artist/producer Timbaland.

She left us with so many beautiful songs. Among them, my favorites are definitely "I Miss You," "I Care For You," "Back and Forth," and "One in a Million." I shall leave you with my favorite Aaliyah song "I Miss You." It was one of the final songs she released, and it is quite fitting for this posting, considering the nature. I don't know what's more sad--the music video itself, or the circumstances that led to the dynamics of the music video.

Rest In Peace, Aaliyah.

No comments:


Blog Archive

 
THE PLATINUM PEN - Blogged